What was discussed at the DG Connect webinar on mHealth? Event reports: 24/06/2014 – 02:00
The speakers who lead the discussion were:
- Mr Robert Madelin – Director General of the Commission’s DG Communications Networks, Content & Technology
- Mr Frank Westermann – CEO of mysugr.com, a company developing mHealth apps, Austria;
- Ms Alex Wyke – Director of PatientView – MyHealthApps.net;
- Mr Stefan Visscher PhD – Senior inspector, Dutch Health Care Inspectorate (IGZ).
- Outlined the issues around the safety of wellbeing and health apps from the EU policy, national public authority, consumer and developer’s perspectives;
- Determined the roles that each sector involved can play in ensuring health and wellbeing apps are safe and trustworthy;
- Answered your questions, for example on the Green Paper consultation on mobile health.
About the speakers:
- Robert Madelin (@eurohumph) became Director-General for the DG Communications Networks, Content & Technology (formerly Information Society and Media) at the European Commission in April 2010. Born in 1957, a British civil servant since 1979, Robert has served in the Commission since 1993: as Director General for Health and Consumer Policies from 2004 to 2010, as a Director in DG Trade, and in the Cabinet of Sir Leon (now Lord) Brittan, who was European Commission Vice-President.
- Stefan Visscher (@svissche) is a medical computer scientist, working in the field of medical informatics for over 10 years now. After a few years in research after finishing his PhD on a decision-support system for diagnosing ICU patients, he moved to the Dutch Health Care Inspectorate (DHCI) as part of the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. At the DHCI he is a senior inspector and is involved in regulating medical software products.
- Alex Wyke is CEO and founder of PatientView, a UK-based research, publishing and consultancy group. PatientView builds bridges worldwide with health NGOs, to help define and support the patient movement. PatientView is the publisher and owner of the online mhealth resource for public and patients, myhealthapps.net. Apart from this, Alex writes for The Economist Intelligence Unit. Her most recent publication being on The Future of Healthcare (2011). As well as lecturing, presenting and chairing healthcare forums worldwide, she also sits on the advisory board of the healthcare initiative of INSEAD management school Paris, and has worked for television and radio, appearing in an expert capacity on several programmes.
- Frank Westermann is CEO and Co-Founder of mySugr GmbH(www.mysugr.com), a mobile health start-up focussing on diabetes with over 110.000 registered users.
Frank’s experience in the tech industry has spanned across different industry sectors including telecom, internet and media. He worked from 2004-2012 as a Head of Business Development for iTV Solutions, Senior Consultant for thebrainbehind and Project Manager for Telekom Austria .
He studied Business Administration in Düsseldorf (Germany) and Angers (France).
You can find the presentations below together with the questions and answers discussed during the webinar at the link below